Application for learning to write foreign languages.

Avinash Zebisky avinashzebisky at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 11:37:52 UTC 2014

Hi,

I want to work on a GSOC project which will help users to learn to write
foreign language. There are already many projects in KDE which help user to
learn a foreign language like KLetter, Parley, Artikulation. But there
hasn't been one which helps user to learn to write new languages.

Therefore, I think KHandWrite is a great and much needed add-on in
KDE-Edu's existing language learning tool-kits. KHandWrite takes a
different approach to learn to write letters of a new language than just
practicing the symbols.

Lets suppose you want to learn to write Thai Script -
[image: Inline image 1]
You select any alphabet. And you learn to draw by connecting the dots of
the alphabets.
[image: Inline image 2]
And depending upon the time and accuracy to get the corresponding stars.

[image: Inline image 3]
This approach can be simply extended to any language.
[image: Inline image 5]
Moreover, this project can be extended to further improve its likability
and play-ability.

   - *MINI GAMES :- *Mini games like spin the wheel, flash card, audio
   translation etc. can be used to make it more interactive and cover the
   basics of learning scripts. For example - User can be asked to draw the
   first alphabet of the given fruit and that too without any boundary guiding
   the user. This can be implemented by having a invisible boundary and few
   dots.
   - *Social Involvement:-* We can connect this game to social sites like
   facebook where a social group can challenge and simultaneously learn the
   scripts.
   - Anonymous Group Learning:- We can give this project a "Draw My Thing"
   curve where anonymous group will be competing again each other. In this
   group one person will be drawing the thai scripts and others will be
   recognizing his word in english or selecting an image from the given
   options. The one who guesses first wins the most point. There can many
   variants in this extension.

Lastly, I personally find this is a great idea and would love to work on
this. The best thing is abundance of various options/extensions which can
help us to target any audience or age group. Kindly let me know if you are
interested in this idea and hopefully mentor me for this project.

Cheers :)