Spaced repetition and Leitner boxes

Andreas Cord-Landwehr cordlandwehr at kde.org
Thu Mar 6 21:20:23 UTC 2014

Hi, in my opinion a combination of variant 2 and 3 would be a good solution.

Looking at both learning models, I would roughly distinguish between Leitner boxes as
being a technique working well to maintain a vocabulary list in the long term memory,
and time interval learning as a technique working well to get words into the long term
memory.

If this assumption is true, it would make sense to start with time interval learning when
learning a set of new words (eg. all unlearned words in a lesson plus words in boxes 1
and 2) and later switch over to Leitner boxes when the focus is on maintaining the
words.

When using a time-based approach for only a "warm-up" phase/initial learning of a set
of words, it shouldn't be necessary to change the kvtml format but to have the interval
information at runtime, and put "well" learned words then into the first Leitner box for
later long-term memory learning.

Greetings,
Andreas