Replacing file-system by database in KStars

Vijay Dhameliya vijay.atwork13 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 02:52:08 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

Currently when KStars is launched, it reads data corresponding to different
Skyobject from respective file in loaddata() methods. And I have tracked
out all the classes where we are loading data by reading file.

I researched bit on the topic and I found that loading data from database
is always much better option then doing same from file.

If we replace file system with QSql following are the Pros:

1) We will not have to ship so many files with Kstars
3) Code for load methods will be reduced in size

Cons:
1) I will have to move all data from files into database by temporary
methods

So I am planning to start coding to replace file system by database on my
local branch.

Can you please give your views and suggestion regarding the same ? I am
sure that It will be very helpful to me. :)

Regards,
Vijay Dhameliya