Parley Bug Fix: #266368

Amarvir Singh amarvir.ammu.93 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 15:23:25 UTC 2014

The %age completion is calculated in a recursive manner, in simple terms it
depends on the no. words in each grade. So, it doesn't depend on just one
grade bar, but all of the grade bars. If I understand it correctly, (and I
have checked by calculating manually :P ) if for eg, all of the words in a
lesson of 28 words are untried (grade 0), and then 1 of the words is marked
to be at the highest level (grade 7), then it will calculated as %age= (no.
of words * grade of each word) / (total words * total grades=7)*100. So, in
the eg stated it is (1*7)/(28*7)*100=3.57=4% as I checked. Even though this
is quite difficult to depict as such in a progress bar, the bar can be seen
as having layers one top of the other. Here we have grade 0 (untried words)
as white part of the bar, and each grade as a light green layer in itself.
Now as few words increase in grade, it can be viewed as placing another
light green layer on top signifying the completion of that grade. This
makes that part of the bar darker, depicting an overall increase in grade.
(I tried this with mom, and she could infer this pretty easily :) )

So we get:

Lightest shade (white,empty)
                                                        Darkest shade
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>>>>
Lowest grade(untried, grade 0)
                                              Highest grade(7)

Though I suggest we still need to tell the user how the %age depends on all
the shades collectively and not just one shade. (Starting tip of the day,
or a starting demo? New feature, maybe?)

>Could it be useful to put the percentage value always directly after the
fifths box, mark the sixth and seventh box in a different color but again
with different alpha values?

>That would at least stress the difference between learned and unlearned
words and give an indication how the percentage value is computed.

I didn't quite understand what you meant by the fifth box thing. Also, what
do you mean by learned and unlearned words. I get tried and untried (grade
0=not viewed=white box=untried and grade 1 and above=tried).