AW: Frameworks status for KDE Edu

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Mon Dec 29 09:16:52 UTC 2014

> Marble has a weird code-base that compiles both in Qt4 and Qt5. They
> don't use KF5 because they can't, as we don't have KF5 in Qt4... ^^'
> If there's somebody interested in marble around (CC) with questions, please ask!

Sorry, but that's just nonsense.

We don't have a "weird" code base. Marble mostly consists of a library that can be compiled with Qt4 as well as Qt5.
This isn't particularly unusual since Qt5 isn't too different from Qt4 in terms of APIs and since Marble relies on Qt's core APIs which haven't changed much.

A KF5 port can be done and would certainly be an easy task for somebody with KF5 experience: You basically take the existing "marble-kde" folder which consists of about 2500 loc:

tackat at tackat-ThinkPad-T500:~/marble/sources/src/apps/marble-kde$ wc -l kdemain.cpp
408 kdemain.cpp
tackat at tackat-ThinkPad-T500:~/marble/sources/src/apps/marble-kde$ wc -l KdeMainWindow.cpp
190 KdeMainWindow.cpp
tackat at tackat-ThinkPad-T500:~/marble/sources/src/apps/marble-kde$ wc -l marble_part.cpp
1947 marble_part.cpp

I guess the best approach is to copy that folder over to marble-kf5 and do the porting. The code in these 2500 lines mostly deals with KPart and KConfig. For classes where KDE classes have disappeared code can be borrowed from the source/src/apps/marble-qt directory which contains a Qt based feature-compatible client.

Best Regards,
Torsten