Add Cooperative Learning to Pairs

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon May 13 14:39:28 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Marco Calignano <marco.calignano at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 9:01 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
>
>> El Dimarts, 7 de maig de 2013, a les 09:22:38, Marco Calignano va
>> escriure:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > to answer to Albert:
>> >
>> > I plan to add an option (an Icon on the games bar) so the player can
>> choose
>> > the collaborative mode like was another kind of game.
>>
>> Makes sense :-)
>>

>> > I can also give an example to how I imagine the third point:
>> > There are three kids around the computer only one can play. When he
>> > finishes his game we need to automatically load a new game (similar to
>> the
>> > first) for the next kid. Now after everyone played once we load a new
>> game
>> > (a bit more difficult) that the first kid can play again and so. All
>> this
>> > list of game and difficulties could be store in a xml file similar to
>> the
>> > current theme file.
>>
>> Makes sense now :-)
>>

>> > to answer Aleix:
>> >
>> > The aim of collaborative learning is to have children work together. A
>> > player for himself is not Collaborative learning. (Of course we can
>> think
>> > of another option for increasing difficulties even in single player
>> mode)
>> > The number three came out in a discussion with the educator of
>> pre-school
>> > teacher: the said the best number is three one at computer and one per
>> > side, the forth would be behind and sometime because of physical
>> > characteristics could be cut off of the game (too short to see the
>> monitor)
>> > but also psychological he fells less important because he is behind
>> >
>> > I would like to discuss the UI further as well (that's why this email)
>>
>> What do you need for the UI, some kind of scoreboard so that each
>> children has
>> a different score?
>>
> 1) The score is not for each player but only for the group so we need to
> change the left tab where the players are.
> 2) We need also a way to tell the kids that they need to switch places. I
> thought like a popup windows where the avatar and the name appears.
> 3) Therefore the kids have to have different avatar.
> 4) I think also we need some kind of confirmation mechanism to
> select collaborative games.  Like a double click or code typing of some
> kind: this would avoid kids playing at home switching into collaborative
> mode and have any kind of "problems"
> 5) we should also give the possibility to same the session game with
> players scores etc. This make sense since in this kind of mode there will
> be more than one game.
>
> Cheers
> Marco
>

>> Cheers,
> [...]
Hi Marco!
Maybe you can provide some mockups to get it discussed?

Technically, I think that the best for this would be to have a different
binary called pairs-collaborative that the teachers can call and know what
the kids will be playing beforehand.

About the switch, I think that we can just add a QML overlay with the
name/picture that the kind can click/press and disappears.

Aleix