KComboBox in designer WAS Re: kartesio

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Thu May 9 11:56:42 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, 2013-05-08, Orestes Mas wrote:

> My reasoning was: I've a ComboBox letting user choose between ALSA or
> PulseAudio sound systems. If user changes current combo selection, I want a
> second combo (the one we are speaking of) to ask gstreamer for a list of
> audio devices in the new selected sound system, and to fill itself with
> these values.
>
> As this operation requires a bit more intelligence than a standard combo,
> my idea was to derive a class implementing the suitable functionality.
>
> So, if I understand you correctly, your advice is to transfer all this
> behaviour from my custom combo to the class containing it, am I right? For
> instance, let the widget containing the combo (in my cas is a customized
> settings dialog) detect changes in the first combo and updating the second
> one accordingly.

If the "additional intelligence" part is fillig the second combobox, you could
think about implementing a list model that changes its contents accordingly
and use that on the combobox.

But having one specialized class that handles the combobox (its content and
any additional behavior) would be a good choice as well.

Cheers,
Kevi
KDE user support, developer mentoring