Regarding GSoC participation and Mock-up for Khipu

Percy Camilo Triveño Aucahuasi percy.camilo.ta at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 07:29:44 UTC 2013

Hi there,

On 28/03/13 08:16, todd rme wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Punit Mehta <punit9462 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>   Hi all ,
>>
>>            I would like to introduce myself to the KDE-Edu community :). I
>> have been working on Khipu (Advanced Mathematical function plotter) for the
>> past 3 to 4 months with the potential mentors of the community Aleix Pol and
>> Percy Camilo Triveño Aucahuasi. I have reported some bugs of Khipu and
>> KAlgebra and also solved some of them with my best possible effort. Right
>> now , I am looking forward to participate in Google Summer of Code - 2013 .
>> My basic task of GSoC is to polish Khipu and contribute to it in such a way
>> that it can be released in the classroom as soon as GSoC ends. As one of the
>> most important feature of any Mathematical plotting application is to
>> improve its GUI , I have thought of a mock up of a Dialogue and some
>> additional basic features in Khipu. The attached PNG file contains all the
>> necessary information along with the Mock-Up UI. You can take a look at it
>> if you wish. :)
>>
>>             Any kind of suggestion or improvement is heartily welcomed.
>>
>>   Thank You.
>>
>>    Regards,
>>   Punit Mehta
>> ( IRC nick : punit9462)
>

> A few suggestions:
>
> 1. It would be nice if there was a check box for logarithmic axes in
> the plot config
>
> 2. What is the difference between "take snapshot" and "save the plot
> as an image"?
>
> 3. Might it be more efficient to have separate sections in the plot
> configuration for the X and Y axis?  All the check boxes related to
> that axis (show axis, show name, maybe show units) would be in one
> section.  This means everything related is visually grouped, and also
> makes it easier to scale up to 3 axes for 3D plots since it would just
> mean adding a new section rather than re-organizing the existing
> sections
>
> 4. For plot space, might it be better to be able to add or remove plot
> spaces, and drag and drop plots between spaces to organize them
> instead of using the check box for an all-or-none setup?  Or perhaps
> set it in the plot config, which would allow a single plot to appear
> in more than one plot space.
>
> 5. It might be nice to have a button to expand/collapse the plot list
>
> 6. Should "Show tangent" really be a per-line option and not a global option?
>
> 7. "Hide/Show" should probably just be "Show" or "Hide" and be a
> toggle button or check box
>
> 8. It might be better to just have "Save as..." where you could either
> specify an image file format or a khipu-specific format.  It would be
> conceivable down the road that there could be a plugin that lets
> gwenview or okular view khipu plots as images.

todd rme thanks for your suggestions, I like very much the ideas #4 and
#8. Some of those belong to Khipu but others have to be implemented in
analitza library. I'm currently in constant communication with Punit to
help him to understand analitza and Khipu concepts, right now I'm very
happy to have some help. Also I'm working with a new branch of analitza
(newplots) and definitly I will take in account your suggestions.

I really hope others members of KDEEdu can offer more suggestions. To
all, please just think like this:

"what features would you like to have for a math plotting aplication"?

For example: we already have code to plot implicit surfaces and implicit
curves in polar coordinates (all of this in analitza library, so we can
use it in Khipu and KAlgebra too)

I've created this page to centralize all the feedback:

http://community.kde.org/KDEEdu/Khipu/Todo

I'm sure Punit will keep focus on that page (to improve his proposal)
and I always will keep my eye on that page too.

Finally, just to set a distintion: KAlgebra is not about plotting is
about take advange of some symbolic features of analitza and do basic
plots. Khipu, instead, strives in manage mathematical objects (suchs
curves and surfaces) and perform some analisys (mainly numeric but also
symbolic) over those mathematical objects. So, for example: if you wan
to draw the area below a curve, you may want to use Khipu instead of
KAlgebra ;)

Thanks in advanced to all,
Percy