Regarding GSoC participation and Mock-up for Khipu
toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 13:16:54 UTC 2013
On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Punit Mehta <punit9462 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all ,
> I would like to introduce myself to the KDE-Edu community :). I
> have been working on Khipu (Advanced Mathematical function plotter) for the
> past 3 to 4 months with the potential mentors of the community Aleix Pol and
> Percy Camilo Triveño Aucahuasi. I have reported some bugs of Khipu and
> KAlgebra and also solved some of them with my best possible effort. Right
> now , I am looking forward to participate in Google Summer of Code - 2013 .
> My basic task of GSoC is to polish Khipu and contribute to it in such a way
> that it can be released in the classroom as soon as GSoC ends. As one of the
> most important feature of any Mathematical plotting application is to
> improve its GUI , I have thought of a mock up of a Dialogue and some
> additional basic features in Khipu. The attached PNG file contains all the
> necessary information along with the Mock-Up UI. You can take a look at it
> if you wish. :)
> Any kind of suggestion or improvement is heartily welcomed.
> Thank You.
> Punit Mehta
> ( IRC nick : punit9462)
A few suggestions:
1. It would be nice if there was a check box for logarithmic axes in
the plot config
2. What is the difference between "take snapshot" and "save the plot
as an image"?
3. Might it be more efficient to have separate sections in the plot
configuration for the X and Y axis? All the check boxes related to
that axis (show axis, show name, maybe show units) would be in one
section. This means everything related is visually grouped, and also
makes it easier to scale up to 3 axes for 3D plots since it would just
mean adding a new section rather than re-organizing the existing
4. For plot space, might it be better to be able to add or remove plot
spaces, and drag and drop plots between spaces to organize them
instead of using the check box for an all-or-none setup? Or perhaps
set it in the plot config, which would allow a single plot to appear
in more than one plot space.
5. It might be nice to have a button to expand/collapse the plot list
6. Should "Show tangent" really be a per-line option and not a global option?
7. "Hide/Show" should probably just be "Show" or "Hide" and be a
toggle button or check box
8. It might be better to just have "Save as..." where you could either
specify an image file format or a khipu-specific format. It would be
conceivable down the road that there could be a plugin that lets
gwenview or okular view khipu plots as images.
More information about the kde-edu