Finding Boost-Python using CMake in Kig

David Narvaez david.narvaez at computer.org
Tue Mar 19 12:14:23 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Maurizio Paolini
<paolini at dmf.unicatt.it> wrote:
> I beg your pardon, but I don't understand exactly what you mean.
>
> The link you posted:
>
> point to a page that (seems to me) contains package requires, not
> build requires... indeed I do not find any reference to
> libboost-python-dev
> (or whatever is its name).

I was also not convinced but it seems the build dependencies were
properly set this time since the new package has been tested and has
python scripting support.

> What about other distros?  I am not really sure that we should place *all*
> the
> blame on the packagers, perhaps we could at least take the issue
> seriously.

Right, my question was more or less in the direction of wondering what
other distros do to find Boost+Python, despite of the fact that this
particular case in Ubuntu was a packager's fault. While this issue was
being solved in Ubuntu I kindof changed my mind to think Gentoo is
doing one thing wrong, which is not providing a default python.pc for
PkgConfig which would be enough to configure Python in the
FindBoostPython.cmake script we provide. Still, I think Boost
installations are so different among distros that most of the
FindBoostPython.cmake script is pointless except for the parts that
use PkgConfig and CMake's find_package.

So, to be concrete: Our curent FindBoostPython.cmake

- Tries using PkgConfig to find Python
  - If that works, tries to find Boost Python using CMake (~20 lines)
- If that doesn't work, tries building several combinations of library
names and include dirs and tries compiling some code to test
Boost+Python installation (~80 lines)

I argue that those ~80 lines can be removed since it is very unlikely
that they will find the right configuration; and we just stick to the
PkgConfig + CMake approach.

David E. Narváez