Finding Boost-Python using CMake in Kig

Maurizio Paolini paolini at dmf.unicatt.it
Sun Mar 17 11:17:11 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 10:10:30AM +0100, Pino Toscano wrote:
> Alle domenica 17 marzo 2013, David Narvaez ha scritto:
> > Recently, we had a report in this list about an Ubuntu user whose
> > distro package for Kig didn't have Python scripting support[0].
>
> The (k)ubuntu packagers simply forgot to add the libboost-python-dev (or
> whatever is the versioned boost -dev they use) build dependency to their
> package. It looks like [1] the development version fixed the issue.
>
> [1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/kig
>
> --
> Pino Toscano

That would mean that during kig build time the required library was missing
and the problem was not in the build script.  This should be tested...

This brings out a related issue: as it is the inclusion or not of python
scripting only depends on the presence or not of specific libraries.
It is ok for a normal user, but for a packager this could be a nuisance.
Perhaps one could thing of a build option (in the line of --require python...)
that give a build error if the required libraries are not present.

Of course, adding the right dependencies must also be done and would have the
same effect, but a "forcing" would protect from inadvertently forgetting
to add dependencies (as happened with ubuntu).

Maurizio

PS. Nice to hear from Pino!