LabPlot2 for kde-edu?

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Dec 30 00:57:43 UTC 2013

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Alexander Semke <Alexander.Semke at web.de>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm one of the developers of labplot. LabPlot2 is close to its first stable
> release. The official homepage [1] is a bit outdated and will get updated
> in
> the next couple of days. You can have a look at some screenshots here [2]
> and
> here [3] if you want to know what LabPlot2 is and how it looks like.
>
> I'm thinking about becoming an official part of kde-edu. What are the
> conditions for this?
>
> I saw a couple of nice features in kmplot that are not available in LabPlot
> yet. I'm also thinking about Cantor and how to combine such an interface
> for
> different CASs with LabPlot2. 2d-plotting and editing of many plot objects
> in
> LabPlot2 is in quite good shape now. Besides implementing new smaller
> features
> after the first release, on of the next big steps to go could be the
> integration of a script language like python or so in order to make
> possible
> the workflow similar to matplotlib (e.g. [4]). Instead of python, or
> better to
> say, in addition to python, the integration of, say, Maxima would be
> greate.
> This is where the expertise of Cantor's authors would be very valuable.
>
> Just saw a review request for analitza on this mailing list. I was not
> aware
> of this project before. Looks like there is a lot of similar work done by
> independent projects. So, a collaboration between these projects in the
> long
> term would be very nice and we can try to create _the_ plotting software
> for
> KDE that goes beyond the current possibilities of other similar projects in
> Qt/KDE-world (labplot, scidavis, kst, veusz, qtiplot, qcustomplot etc.)
>

> What do you think about this?
>
> I hope, the developers of kmplot and cantor are reading this mailing list.
> If
> not, please tell me so I can try to get them directly :-)
>

> Best regards
> Alexander
>

> [1] http://labplot.sourceforge.net/
> [2]
> http://www.asinen.org/2013/10/labplot-2-and-the-state-of-free-data-analysis/
> [3] https://sourceforge.net/projects/labplot/
> [4] http://matplotlib.org/examples/pylab_examples/csd_demo.html

Hi Alexander,
I'm the Analitza and KAlgebra maintainer in KDE Edu, I'm happy to see your
interest in our project. You're welcome to join the KDE family, and
therefore KDE Edu. Belonging to KDE only depends on the project being able
to live in the premises of the KDE Manifesto [1], which seems to me like it
does. The biggest change will be moving the project from sourceforge to
kde.org, but I'd say this will bring some benefits you can take advantage
from.

Furthermore, the fact that the project is part of KDE Edu is, at the
moment, depending on the goal of wanting to improve the available tools for
education.

Regarding development, I can't really tell about kmplot, but it has barely
been developed during the last years. Maybe you can take a look at
KAlgebra/Khipu and see if there's any way we can work together though.

I hope we'll see you around!
Aleix

[1] http://manifesto.kde.org/