ktouch/next ready for merge

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Tue Oct 23 17:25:14 UTC 2012

> The important thing for you is, that the old Windows version of KTouch won't
> go anywhere, just because we release a newer (and better) X11 version for
> Linux. So the situation for will be same, you just won't profit from the new
> features for now.

It does not work like that. If the users get an update, everything
will be most likely updated for one bunch. They would not like to have
more difficulty than that. I have proposed two approaches, but I think
the third is probably even better:

Leave the old codebase around and let the KDE Windows distributors
build that with a cmake option, otherwise the new version. Once you
have the project working for Windows, you could remove the obsolete
unit.

That way, if the end users get a kde edu update, everything will just
work for them, albeit the linux and windows variants will be slightly
different, but there are such differences between other platforms like
Linux and Harmattan as well even though that is a desktop-mobile
differentiation, not desktop-desktop. Still better than a non-working
version.

Laszlo