Awesome Pairs

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue May 29 10:22:24 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 04:14:36 Aleix Pol wrote:
> Hi Aaron,
> As I promised, I took some time to address these issues, maybe you'd
> like to try it on a Vivaldi and see if it helped.
>
> I couldn't test it yet from a touch screen. I'll try it on the exopc
> at some point, but some of the constraints you observed won't apply
> there either (like screen size), so feedback is still welcome.
>
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, May 23, 2012 11:26:53 Aleix Pol wrote:
> >> Anyhow, please report us the issues you've discovered (either here or
> >> bko) and we'll manage to sort them out.
> >
> > they are mostly design principles, so i'm not sure if they would work well
> > into individual bug reports just yet. here are the things i noticed:
> >
> > * it relies on mouse hover in certain places. for instance, to remove a
> > player you need to hover the item and then hit the "X". this works really
> > nicely with a mouse, but not with a touch screen where hover events just
> > don't exist for practical reasons.
>
> Fixed, although I'm not very happy with the solution. Might change in
> the future, but now it's possible to remove a player from a touch
> screen.

yes, this now works .. i found it slightly odd that you could select multiple
users at once by pressing on them .. for some reason i expected to only be
able to select one at a time, with only one having a close mark on it. small
detial though, it at least works now with touch :)

> > * animation timing. the animation that starts the layout of the board is
> > reallllly slllloooooow. in practice, very few transition animations should
> > be longer than .5s, and most should be more on the order of 1/4 to 1/3s.
> > this gives the application a much nicer user experience. don't worry that
> > people won't notice the wonderful animations if they are shorter.. our
> > eyes are amazing. unfortunately our patience is short. :)
>
> I basically reduced the animations duration, the change was very
> un-scientific, so if you think it can be improved, just tell me.

300ms is a lot better! thanks ...

the choice of easing curve seemed a bit jarring, though.. try it with this
change in pairsview.cpp:

-        anim->setEasingCurve(QEasingCurve::InExpo);
+        anim->setEasingCurve(QEasingCurve::InOutQuad);

feels much more natural to me.

while testing it here i noticed that in the mode where it speaks the clue and
you have to pick the matching image that there is quite a bit of delay between
selecting the answer and when it is accepted.

this also leads to some odd possibilities such as being able to select other
answers in between.

it's shaping up nicely though .. if we find some time we might try to do a
theme that matches the plasma active components as well. not as fun looking,
but it is designed for easy viewing.

also, the idea of children playing games in pairs is really cool as well. i
know you said it wouldn't be for play across multiple devices quite yet
(completely understandable: one milestone at a time!) but if that were
possible that would be a really cool feature .. can't wait to see how that
project pans out!

--
Aaron J. Seigo