Cantor--whiteboard interface

Alexander Rieder alexanderrieder at gmail.com
Fri May 18 13:05:19 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 15 May 2012 14:36:04 Mark Kuster wrote:
> Hi, Alexander & Martin
>
> I used Mathcad forever before switching to Linux and still use it at work
> and so could help from that angle. The Mathematica-style interface most
> packages have works well enough, but Mathcad's whiteboard interface doesn't
> constrict the user to a linear progression. You simply plop an equation,
> definition, text, script, graph, or whatever anywhere on the screen. It
> also works more in WYSIWYG fashion (like writing on a real whiteboard)--the
> user sees a formatted entity, not a textual entry, even while editing.
>
> In terms of implementation,it might do something like record the (x,y)
> entry position entry, facilitate math entry and editing, and (here's the
> key) show the typeset result on the screen at the location chosen. If the
> user indicated something to evaluate (using "=", shift-enter, or whatever),
> then it would show {typeset user entry} = {typeset result from the backend
> math package}. Optimally, the user's raw keystrokes never appear anywhere.
> The possibilities break wide open after that.
>
> I attached a couple examples made by printing Mathcad documents to pdf to
> help visualize how it works. Except for menus & toolbars, the screen looks
> just like the pdfs without the page breaks. The Mathcad web site
> (http://www.ptc.com/product/mathcad/) may help also. You will notice that
> Mathcad typesets poorly compared to Cantor-Sage-LaTEX. Adding the Mathcad
> interface to what you already have would probably blow everything else
> away. With Cantor's export-to-LaTEX feature,or a Cantor-Kile combo, one
> might then effortlessly turn a free-form creative flow into a typeset paper
> ready for publication, homework, web post, whatever.
>
> To answer your questions after all that wind, implementing the ideas
> interests me greatly, but I would have trouble finding enough time. Happy
> to help, though, if you broke off a small enough chunk for me. Certainly
> would help with any Mathcad or other questions.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Mark

Hi,
this surely looks interesting. Unfortunately I'm quite busy at the moment, so
it might take a while until I get to play around with this idea, but I'll keep
it in mind if I ever find myself with unexpected free time. (As an alternative,
patches are always welcome of course).

best regards,
Alexander