KTouch

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Tue May 15 09:37:52 UTC 2012

> Albert is talking about the *reality* of things: as the KDE Platform is
> designed from a technical perspective, kde-runtime is a dependency for all kde
> applications. full stop. don't pass Go. don't collect $200. that's just how it
> is. things break when kde-runtime is not installed.

None of the applications aforementioned, I have worked on, break, and
as such: it is better to have this way than adding an unnecessary
extra dependency, if I do not otherwise need the functionality of that
addition.

If kde-runtime had been hard dependency, and nothing would have worked
without that, this should have been marked as hard dependency. I still
stick by that, as for certain cases including our previous projects,
this is something that we could avoid.

> Laszlo is reflecting the *desire* of many application developers, which is to
> have a more "ala cart" approach where instead of having one big kde-runtime
> (and one big kdelibs) things are broken out ("atomized", "modularized", take
> your pick :) so that only the requirements of a specific application are there.

It is not just a desire. That is the reality for the applications I
have worked on with KDE4. Like I provided other examples out there, it
is not just our use case.

> and for the "our desire is to not have kde-runtime" viewpoint, that is
> something we wish to achieve with Frameworks 5. please support that effort.

I have been trying to. However, I am mostly on the Qt5 integration
front, not UI components. I am happy to help with those as much as I
can. :-)

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp