[KTouch] Keyboard layout conversion

Sebastian Gottfried sebastiangottfried at web.de
Mon May 14 13:08:33 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

So far I'm finished with the conversion of all keyboard layouts for new
version of KTouch. For 37 of the 42 keyboard layout I was able to convert them
successfully but with the remaining five I ran into various problems:

1) english/en_alphagrip.keyboard.xml

This file describes the layout of this input device:
http://www.alphagrips.com/. As I have to match every keyboard layout to X11
keyboard layout name to make the keyboard layout auto detection work and X11
doesn't support the iGrip out of the box I don't know how to call that thing.

2) greek/el.keyboard.xml

Mostly an USA qwerty layout with a few Greek characters thrown in. Large
amounts of the greek alphabet is missing, though. Doesn't match any Greek
keyboard layout variant on my system.

3) kannada/kn.keyboard.xml

The encoding of this file is totally messed up.

4) quebec/qc.keyboard.xml

Another keyboard layout I can't find a corresponding X11 layout for. It surely
doesn't match any of the Canadian multilingual variants.

5) tamil/ta_eng.keyboard.xml
This is the standard Tamil keyboard layout (tamil/tamil.keyboard.xml) with
additional labels for the Latin alphabet. As I wasn't successful to actually
produce any Latin character on my system with this keyboard layout I converted
only the pure Tamil keyboard layout file.

It's a bit sad to lose so many keyboard layouts over the conversion process
and any hint to save one of the layouts would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Sebastian Gottfried