KTouch

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Fri May 4 10:35:25 UTC 2012

Hi Anne-Marie and all ;)

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Anne-Marie Mahfouf
<annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr> wrote:
> Hi Laszlo, hi Sebastian, hi all,
>
> As I wrote, we have time to sort things out.
> We're not sure of Qt Desktop Components
> https://qt.gitorious.org/qtplayground/qtdesktopcomponents
> future right now. They are not shipped with Qt and are not actively
> developed and committed to.

The current plan is to ship those with Qt5.1 from what I can say. You
are right, Nokia have not recently put too much man power behind which
as far as I know will change soon hopefully. We will see.

At any rate, I find this project already very useful. Perhaps I can
show up the potential with kanagram or khangman in a separate branch
or scratch repository as a presentation material at the aKademy talk.

I personally agree with that someone needs to initiate the procedure
either way. This might motivate me a lot more for kanagram or khangman
to make a qtdesktopcomponents based UI for aKademy, hmm... I wish I
could find the time for this. :/

We will also discuss the future for Qt Quick 2 and components with
other Qt contributors during the QtCS. See the following initiative
for details:
http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2012-April/003543.html
http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2012-May/003548.html

> It is important to seek what other KDE sub-projects
> will do, especially KDE Games as they have a GSoC project to port some games
> to QML.

The student worked on plasma qml based project last year, so I would
expect either that or plain qml, but we need to see.

> The new KTouch will not ship for 4.9 (soft feature freeze is done, lots of
> work still to be done) so we have time. However KTouch code was awfully old
> and not really maintained so Sebastian's code is very much welcomed!

Yes, so let me claim this again explicitely: I am happy about
Sebastian's work; there are no doubts about that, but like I wrote
initially it does not work to integrate the project the way by just
deleting the current frontend right away. Luckily enough, I think all
of us agree about that by now. :-)

I think 4.10 might depend on the fact how mature frameworks becomes by
the time the 4.9 series is "running out". There were few postponings
in the process, but we shall see this later.

> We'll sort out this QML problem in time for the next release. Meanwhile
> Sebastian will put the code in KDE playground git repository and we can all
> work on helping him make his KTouch feature-level with the current one.

I am a bit surprised, the development did not happen that way from the
beginning with either a branch, KDE scratch or Playground repository.
I agree about this as well. That is certainly a better place for a KDE
experiment than github. :-)

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp