Google Summer of Code 2012 Ideas page

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 11:03:56 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 1:42 PM, todd rme <toddrme2178 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Teo Mrnjavac <teo at kde.org> wrote:
>> Hello!
>> As you might have heard, Google Summer of Code 2012 is on and we as
>> KDE plan on applying as a mentoring organization again. Formal details
>> are being taken care of, but if we want to be accepted it is
>> absolutely necessary that we have a complete ideas page with lots of
>> quality entries.
>> If you have an idea for a student to work on during GSoC, please add
>> it to our GSoC 2012 Ideas page [1] on the Community wiki.
>>
>> [1] http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2012
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> Teo
>
> I have some ideas that might be useful as GSOC projects, if anyone
> wants to mentor them:
>
> 1. A pure python cantor interface.  The goal of this project would be
> to make a backend for cantor like the sage backend, but relying only
> on standard python rather than sage's modified version of python.  The
> problem is that sage is huge and thus is not provided as a package by
> many distros, while python and many of the modules needed to do
> scientific and mathematical work with python are (numpy, scipy, sympy,
> matplotlib, etc).  So having a KDE interface for python would be a lot
> better from a distribution point of view.
>
> 2. Merge kmplot features into kalgebra.  Both kalgebra and kmplot can
> make plots, but the two have features the other lacks.  The purpose of
> this project would be to merge the kmplot features into kalgebra,
> inclyding support (perhaps read-only) for kmplot files.
>
> 3. Additional plot types in kalgebra.  Kmplot and kalgebra have
> support for the types of plots you would need up until earl high
> school, but lack many plot types needed by later high school and
> college courses.  The purpose of this project would be to add support
> in kalgebra for more plot types, including: loglog, semilog-x,
> semilog-y, and contour plots.
>
> 4. one-handed typing training for ktouch.  The purpose of this project
> would be to provide touch-typing training for one-handed typing on a
> normal keyboard (and perhaps specialized ones as well).  This is
> useful for both children and adults with disabilities and injuries.
>
> -Todd

Another possible project: scientific/education components for QML.
The idea would be to create a set of QML components that can be used
by educational and scientific applications.  Examples would likely
include what qwt currently provides, as well as some
educutional-related one.  Likely examples:

1. Plot axis (probably with options to set linear, semilog, log-log,
and polar).  This wouldn't necessarily offer lines in the plot, the
lines could be created separately by the GUI.  Would need to accept
clicks and return the coordinates of the click.
2. Scale bars, also clickable.
3. Meters, like a volume meter.  Should probably include horizontal
and vertical meters, and a circular meter (like on voltmeter).  Also
clickable.
4. Compass or direction pointer.
5. Dice, with a custom number of sides.  Should by able to select a
specific number or randomly select a number.

-Todd