marble hard-coding -O3 optimizations

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Mon Feb 6 10:07:14 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Samstag, 4. Februar 2012 16:31:05 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> I'm with Rex here, debug should be debuggeable to the maximum and having a
> -O3 there problably means that the compiler does some stuff to make it
> faster, which is cool, but probably means it's not maximally debuggeable
> anymore.

Debugging hasn't been an issue so far (at least not because of that ;-). Ever.
During the last six years. :-)

> Ok course this does not help if our packagers compile with Debug instead of
> RelWithDebInfo (no idea if this is the case or not).

Exactly. For most applications (like KGeography) compiling with Debug or
Release mode doesn't make much of a difference in terms of performance - as a
user you would hardly notice.

However for Marble it's a different case: It can reduce the framerate hugely
if you compile with Debug mode - last time I checked it was about half the
speed or less. I don't want to hear people complaining about speed just
because they use packages that are possibly compiled with Debug flags or
because they compile it themselves with the Debug flag and are unaware of the
impact.

That's why this solution is in place. So far it has worked well for us. And I
wouldn't like to "fix" it unless there is a real problem. :-)

Best Regards,
Torsten