Research Project With Rocs and Step

Andreas Cord-Landwehr phoenixx at uni-paderborn.de
Thu Feb 2 17:35:52 UTC 2012

On Thursday 02 February 2012 02:16:29 Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
> A little while ago, a Researcher named Michal Wrobel from the Gdansk
> University of Technology got in contact with the KDE - Community Group
> asking about the projects, we exchanged a few e-mails and he told me
> that he have three groups of 4 students, that are already major in
> Enginering, to do a 3 to 4 months project on Open Source.

Hi, did he specify a timeframe when that project should run? Also a deadline
when he needs the proposal sketch would be interesing.
Since it is a 3-4 months project, I think it should be something big enough to
actually spend the entire time; also not too simple that there is an academic
challenge...
Here is something I could imagine for Rocs:

Proposal Sketch for "Implementation of Flow Networks":
==========================
* create a plugin for Flow Network Graphs (actually, add sink and source, use
directed edges)
* create icons for special nodes of a flow network
* implement some basic algorithms for flows in JavaScript _and_ according
examples graphs; this could include:
  - Ford-Fulkerson
  - Edmonds-Karp
  - Preflow-Push algorithm
  - ...
* write a documentation chapter in the handbook about this class of graphs and
specific methods allowed by this data structure.
* for at least one of these algorithms modify the implementation such that its
execution actually _explains_ how the algorithm works (e.g., which series of
augmenting pathes are selected...)

Greetings,
   Andreas