Mailing list setting change proposal for "Reply to all"

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Dec 16 14:09:21 UTC 2012

On Saturday, 2012-12-15, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Kevin Krammer <krammer at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Thursday, 2012-12-13, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I would like to propose to change the default behavior of the "Reply to
> > > all" operation on this mailing list. It turned out an issue several
> > > times in the (near) past. It seems people tend to send an email
> > > without subscription from time to time.
> > >
> > > I assume it would not hurt either if "Reply to all" behaved the way
> > > your intended target is included regardless whether or not that person
> > > is subscribed.
> >
> > That is how reply to all works, isn't it? It includes the mailinglist and
> > the
> > sender of the mail you are replying to (and potentially anyone in CC).
> >
> > Since development at qt-project.org came up as an example that behaves
> > differently, it does not as far as I can tell.
>
> It does behave differently, at least for a few of us, but not in the sense
> you seem to have understood. You can have a "Reply to all" option if
> someone sends an email to this list without involving any other address. Me
> and a few other people do not have that option for this list unfortunately.

So this is not about Reply to all in the client but a client using reply to
list and the list then checking if the sender of the original mail is
subscribed and if not CCing them when sending out the mail to subscribers?

Like
User A sends message A1 to list
User B replies to A1 to the list
list checking if A is a subscriber
	- if A is a subscriber list sends email as-is
	- if A is not a subscriber, list sends email as-is and CC to A

Right?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring