Mailing list setting change proposal for "Reply to all"

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Sat Dec 15 14:35:48 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Kevin Krammer <krammer at kde.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, 2012-12-13, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would like to propose to change the default behavior of the "Reply to
> > all" operation on this mailing list. It turned out an issue several times
> > in the (near) past. It seems people tend to send an email without
> > subscription from time to time.
> >
> > I assume it would not hurt either if "Reply to all" behaved the way your
> > intended target is included regardless whether or not that person is
> > subscribed.
>
> That is how reply to all works, isn't it? It includes the mailinglist and
> the
> sender of the mail you are replying to (and potentially anyone in CC).
>
> Since development at qt-project.org came up as an example that behaves
> differently, it does not as far as I can tell.

It does behave differently, at least for a few of us, but not in the sense
you seem to have understood. You can have a "Reply to all" option if
someone sends an email to this list without involving any other address. Me
and a few other people do not have that option for this list unfortunately.

That said, and written before, that is also a bit suboptimal for a list
like this in my opinion, even if we could achieve that.

I also tried with a mailinglist that is a Google group and again reply to
> all
> includes the list and the sender.

If only there was a "Reply to all" provided by mailman while preserving the
"Reply" behaviour as is.

Laszlo