Kpairs Theme Schema

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 22:31:15 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:29 PM, Marco Calignano <marco.calignano at web.de> wrote:

> On 09/07/2011 10:38 PM, todd rme wrote:
>>
>> First, has a consensus been reached on whether a new file format or an
>> extension to the existing kvtml would be used?  The conversation seems
>> to have gotten cut short.
>
> I answered to this in a long email and I don't think that using kvtml give
> us any advantage

I know this was your conclusion, but there didn't seem to be a
consensus on this and nobody got a chance to respond to your post.

[snipped things we agree on]

>> 4. An explicit version number
>
> we already the date field why do you need a version number?

Because people seem to like using version numbers for keeping track of
versions.  I would say it is the same reason why any other software
uses versions instead of dates.  It is also quicker and easier to
process visually.

>> 7. A sound for turning the card over
>
> This we thought it was too much

Why?

>> Can the theme be set to use icons from the current icon theme in
>> places where pictures are normally used?
>
> I guess it could by why?

See the next question (for instance it would be easier to just ask to
use the "speaker" or "sound file" icon than packaging an svg).

>> Shouldn't we figure out how to do translations before we finalize the
>> format?  These might require more fundamental changes to the format.
>
> <word lang='en'>lion</word>
> here the attribute 'lang' is mandatory and one element word has to be
> specified for each different language.
> So the translation is already there.

What about for the intro section?  The format example in the first
email says the translations of this part need to be worked out.

Also, should sound files be localizable as well, since they could
contain speech?  What about videos, that could have speech or text?
Pictures may have text in them as well.  So should these support an
optional language tag?

>> Regarding files, we have discussed how the xml file will be formatted,
>> but presumably there will need to be a package that contains the
>> images, sounds, and/or videos to go along with it.  How will these
>> files be formatted?  I assume they will be tarballs, but she would
>> come up with a new extension name for them?  What compressed
>> containers will be supported?
>
> The supported compress containers are:
> compressed tarballs   (tar.gz, tar.bz2)
> in each tarball there are al the multimedia files plus a .game file that
> contains the theme specific.

So how are the files organized?  Should they be organized by category,
file type, a flat list, or some other structure?  Should they go in
the root directory or be organized into one big "files" directory (or
something like that)?  What will the directories, if any, be called?
Where will the xml file go?  Does the xml file need to have a specific
name?  Will the tarball have a specific custom extension or just use
tar.gz, tar.bz2, etc?  What is the .game file (your sentence appears
to have gotten cut off)?

-Todd