Kpairs Theme Schema

Marco Calignano marco.calignano at web.de
Wed Sep 7 21:29:58 UTC 2011

On 09/07/2011 10:38 PM, todd rme wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at
> 9:46 PM, Marco Calignano<marco.calignano at web.de>  wrote:
>>
>> On 09/07/2011 12:33 PM, todd rme wrote:

>>> I mean, shouldn't we work out the details of the theme file format
>>> before we start trying to implement it?
>> Do you have something more to add or to specify about the file format?
>> Marco
> First, has a consensus been reached on whether a new file format or an
> extension to the existing kvtml would be used?  The conversation seems
> to have gotten cut short.
I answered to this in a long email and I don't think that using kvtml
give us any advantage

> As for my own ideas, there are a few things:
>
> Regarding the category idea, we need to figure out how pref and
> category will interact, or if pref is even necessary or desirable when
> categories are available.  My own opinion is that reomving pref
> entirely is a better solution since it will require theme developers
> to come up with a descriptive name.
>
> If you keep pref, then we need to figure out what the name will be for
> those items.  For example, give this case:
>
> <image src='lion.svg' pref='1'/>
> <image src='lion_photo.jpg' pref='2'/>
> <image src='baby_lion.svg' category='babies' pref='1'/>
> <image src='baby_lion_photo.jpg' category='babies' pref='2'/>
>
> How would the names be handled?
>
> Possibilities include:
>
> 1: Zoo 1, Zoo 2, Zoo Babies 1, Zoo Babies 2
> 2: Zoo, Zoo 1, Zoo Babies, Zoo Babies 1
> 3: Zoo, Zoo 2, Zoo Babies, Zoo Babies 2
> 4: Zoo A, Zoo B, Zoo Babies A, Zoo Babies B
> 5: Zoo, Zoo A, Zoo Babies, Zoo Babies A
> 6: Zoo, Zoo B, Zoo Babies, Zoo Babies B
>
> Is the Pref='1' tag necessary, or could the entry without the tag be
> assumed to have priority?  Would the tag be required or would the
> program just pick one of the possibilities at random if it isn't
> there?  Is there a reason that the number has to be a string and not
> just a number?
If we go with the categories we should also drop the pref.
Categories can connect more elements and  they can define a specific
type of game.

> There are some other elements that I think theme developers might want
> (not all of these are necessarily desirable, they are just
> possibilities):
>
> 1. Game board background
Ok!
> 2. Highlight color or even an svg (to show which card is selected)
we could do a standard palette change for this, but it is also an Idea
for the theme
> 3. Text for the window title bar (defaults to the theme title if not specified)
I would always default this
> 4. An explicit version number
we already the date field why do you need a version number?
> 5. A color or SVG to go behind transparent parts of images
Ok!
> 6. Fonts (probably both global and per-element)
Important for the game with words
> 7. A sound for turning the card over
This we thought it was too much
> 8. There could probably be multiple possible animations for turning
> the card over, and the theme could specify one (like flip horizontal,
> flip vertical, crossfade, etc)
This could be defined in a later version of the game. Some of the code
has to be change substantially to be able to do this

> Can the theme be set to use icons from the current icon theme in
> places where pictures are normally used?
I guess it could by why?

> When a sound card is clicked, will it flip over or just play the
> sound?  If the former, then the theme needs to be able to specify the
> image for this.  If not, then there needs to be some animation or
> other effect, perhaps also with options the theme could pick from
I'd like to hear more opinions about this.

> Shouldn't we figure out how to do translations before we finalize the
> format?  These might require more fundamental changes to the format.
<word lang='en'>lion</word>
here the attribute 'lang' is mandatory and one element word has to be
specified for each different language.
So the translation is already there.
> Regarding files, we have discussed how the xml file will be formatted,
> but presumably there will need to be a package that contains the
> images, sounds, and/or videos to go along with it.  How will these
> files be formatted?  I assume they will be tarballs, but she would
> come up with a new extension name for them?  What compressed
> containers will be supported?
The supported compress containers are:
compressed tarballs   (tar.gz, tar.bz2)
in each tarball there are al the multimedia files plus a .game file that
contains the theme specific.

Marco