Google Code-In Translation for pykig.py

David Narvaez david.narvaez at computer.org
Sun Oct 30 00:00:19 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Maurizio Paolini
<paolini at dmf.unicatt.it> wrote:
> I am a little bit puzzled... "/usr/bin/pykig.py" is already in english.
> The only italian parts are python comments, and perhaps some help
> messages (perhape you are referring to them?).
>
> All comments can be readily converted in english and there is no need
> to save the original.
>
> Anyway, it is not clear to me what is the meaning of 'localization'
> in this case:  at present the commands that compose a kig construction
> in a pykig script *must* be in english (otherwise it would be tricky
> to share python scripts), however I remember that in 'kturtle' the commands
> are also localized.  If we decide to do the same for pykig.py we should
> evaluate the implications of that.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Maurizio Paolini

Hi, really sorry for the late response, I just remembered this thread
while working on another Python script.

There are prompts in Italian in that file, and that's the bug report I
want to close. But that's not all: if you do

pydoc `which pykig.py`

you should get a listing of all classes in that file and documentation
about them - and these are all in Italian, since those are extracted
from the comments in the file. Ideally, we should be able to provide
documentation in any language KDE supports, although I'm not sure
about how to apply that to pydocs, but in any case, I think it makes
more sense to have that pydoc in English, but I may be wrong. What do
you think?

David E. Narváez