Google Code-In Translation for pykig.py

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annma at kde.org
Thu Oct 20 06:00:01 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, October 19, 2011 09:07:37 PM David Narvaez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In times of calls for Google Code-In tasks, I was wondering if it
> would be possible to get some students to translate the whole
> pykig.py[0] file from Italian to English (documentation, labels, ...).
> I think it's ideal in the sense that it's a non-trivial task that will
> produce a lot of value but is also very straightforward. Ideally,
> translation would be done in such a way that we can still have an
> Italian version if the desktop is configured to be in Italian.
> Furthermore, as I'm a spanish speaker, I can volunteer myself to
> contribute a spanish translation of the file too once the English
> version is ready.
>
> It's a very raw idea at this point, but if you think this is a good
> task for GCI, I can take a closer look at it and structure it in the
> right way. Sounds good?
>
> [0]
> https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdeedu/kig/repository/revisions/maste
Hi David,

Italian to English
yes it's an excellent task for GCI which requires only Italian and English
knowledge. It is exactly the scope of GCI!

When you have an English version, it goes in the Kig repo. After that you need
to ask the i18n team how to extract the English strings fom this script into a
.pot file so that all translation teams within KDE will translate it and it
then will automaticaly use the user language.

Thanks for working on Kig, best regards,

Anne-Marie