[kde-edu]: Re: Step development

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 07:01:01 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:13:44PM +0100, Sebastian Voecking wrote:
> Hi,
>
> some of you might already have heard about me. However I would like to
> introduce myself. My name is Sebastian and I will take care about Step now.
> You can find me on IRC as voeck. During the last weeks I already made myself
> familiar with the code and already commited some bugfixes to trunk. For the 4.7
> release I intend to work a little more on the usability. I am going to start
> for example with nicer anti-aliased graphics which uses some newer
> QGraphicsView features.

It's really awesome to see someone take care of Step.

As a physics student, I think Step has a lot of potential to be a
great help in the classroom.

If I were to suggest a direction for Step, it would be to improve
usability at university level. Currently, Step is great for
high-school, but it would be very nice if Step could do stuff that
university-level physics requires.

For instance, if it could plot Electric field lines due to some
configuration of charges (I don't know if it can do this already), or
plot the phase portraits of the mechanical systems, or calculate the
flux through a Gaussian surface (this will require adding a third
dimension to step?!) -- that would be cool -- because I could then
start using it to teach Physics!

Regards
Akarsh