[kde-edu]: Re: Preparation for the move to git

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Fri Feb 4 07:48:19 CET 2011

On Thursday 03 February 2011 22:56:13 Peter Hedlund wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2011, at 11:51 AM, Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> > Hi KDE-Edu devels,
> >
> > Now that kdelibs and kdebase have been moved to git, the rest of KDE will
> > soon follow. Ian "eean" kindly offered to write the rules for kdeedu,
> > thanks to him!
> >
> > Before the move we need to ensure that all subprojects build standalone
> > (without breaking the overall kdeedu build as well).
> > KBruch maintainer Sebastian did that earlier today
> > http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdeedu/kbruch/CMakeLists.txt?r1=1009581&r
> > 2=1218675
> >
> > While it's easy for small projects, it is probably a bit more work for
> > Marble which is more complex. Can the Marble team look into it quite
> > quickly? Any problems can be discussed here and if necessary we'll ask
> > for help. Same for KStars.
> > We also need to take care of the libs as we discussed and noted on
> > http://community.kde.org/KDE_Edu#Git_Migration
>
> Without cmake and library development skills it's definitely the handling
> of the keduvocdocument lib that is giving me problems. Either we keep all
> applications using it together or I/we need help making a proper library
> out of it.
>
> Anne-Marie, how do you plan to handle KHangMan since it is one of the
> programs using it?
I think we need to make a proper lib out of it. Jeremy (jpwhiting) is better
qualified than me to deal with it ;)

What is more worrying me is the /data folder that Kanagram and KHangMan
depends on. Debian has problem with making it a dependency as we got numerous
bugreports where people did not have the data installed. I have no idea how to
make it a CMake dependency (don't build KHangMan and Kanagram is data/ is not
installed). Maybe it's not possible.

We can also bundle thelib and the apps but I'd prefer the lib separate
personally to give a chance to have for example in the future only an applet
installed based on kvtm and not the whole app.

Anne-Marie