[kde-edu]: Split out "kvocabedit" from Kanagram?

Gordon Schumacher whiplash at pobox.com
Fri Nov 26 18:38:47 CET 2010

I need to preface all this by saying that I'm a long-time KDE user and
Qt developer, but am new to KDE development, so please bear with me :)

So, I'm home-schooling my eight-year-old son, and have been using
KHangman and Kanagram to do spelling words with him (to great success -
he's much more willing to do anything that's in the form of a game!)

I was considering the idea of splitting out the vocabulary editor into
its own application.  First, it took me a fair bit of digging to figure
out how to do the custom vocabs in the first place.  I found many
tutorials on how to hand-write a kvtml file, but the format they
indicated was wrong (perhaps they were for an older version?)  It then
took me a fair bit to discover that the editor was actually part of
Kanagram.

I was visualizing something vaguely similar to Qt Linguist, in that you
could open one or more vocab files, select one or more languages for it,
and then enter the words and clues.  Again similarly to Linguist, the
ability to import "foreign" formats would be nice.  (IIRC KHangman can
already do this, but Kanagram can't - and neither can then save back out
as kvtml.)

Whether it gets split into its own application or not, it might be
reasonable to offer the actual functionality as either a library or a
custom widget; that way it could easily be used either way.

What do you think?