[kde-edu]: Work on the new layout for the web site

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Sat May 29 20:21:53 CEST 2010

2010/5/29 Matthias Meßmer <matthias at familie-messmer.de>

> Hi,
>
> I am working on the new layout of the website. Even if the framework
> (capacity) is the same, a lot has changed. Look at http://www.kde.org
>
> I tried to take over the presentation of application information sorted
> by categories like http://www.kde.org/applications
>
> Our applications present a lot of further information on their subpages
> on edu.kde.org that shall not be integrated in these kind of overview
> pages. So every edu application shall keep its own folder with
> individual information.
>
> I found that on kde.org every application has a JSON file containing
> basic information. These files are human readable and can be parsed
> easily by PHP. So I suggest to use this syntax for the navigation thru
> the applications' homepage. A menu.json file looks like this:
>
> {
>  "Information": [
>    [ "Description", "description.php" ]
>  ],
>  "Tutorials": [
>    [ "Logo Files", "files.php" ]
>  ],
>  "Development": [
>    [ "Current Status", "current.php" ],
>    [ "Translation", "translator.php" ]
>  ]
> }
>
> I used KTurtle as example.
>
> Then I declared a PHP class to parse and print this as a menu box. To
> call this the PHP file just needs the line
>
> $infomenu = new InfoMenu();
>
> The result looks like this:
>
> http://edu.angelaschule-osnabrueck.de/kturtle
>
> Let me hear your opinion!
>
> Best regards
>
> Matthias

Hi,
We were discussing with Matthias about how much do we want to rely on
userbase's wiki to have applications information.

I think that in edu.kde.org we just want to have the static text we need and
some screenshots and then put the day to day information on the userbase so
that if anybody wants to contribute in any way he will be able to do so
easily.

Any thoughts?
Aleix