[kde-edu]: New Website Status

Matthias Meßmer matthias at familie-messmer.de
Sun Jun 27 18:54:24 CEST 2010

Hello,

much work has been done on the website. With fabulous help from Sayak
and Ingo from the www team the plan of migrating of edu.kde.org to the
new chihuahua layout results in improvements of the main www.kde.org
site, too.

1. The teaser on the startpage will be controlled by a new php class
which takes care of images to be shown, the order, links from the images
to another page (if needed), and configuration of transition effects.
Furthermore the html codes will be valid now.

I painted two simple teaser images, which can be replaced by better ones
- you are welcome to contribute.

Before uploading the new edu.kde.org files these impovements will be
merged from www-devel.kde.org to www.kde.org.

2. The menu appearance will be changed. The submenus will open over the
page content and the content will not move down. That is much better
especailly for smaller displays. In addition every menu entry can be
illustrated with a small icon. I added this feature for all applications
appearing in the submenu "All Applications". It looks good, imho ;-)

The currently used menu.inc files will be replaced with only one
plasmaMenu.inc file in the root folder. This doesn't aeffect pages wich
does'nt use the new layout.

This feature will be merged to www.kde.org before edu.kde.org raises in
its new appearance.

3. Application pages will use resources from www.kde.org. I rewrote the
application pages so that icons and screenshots have not to be copied to
edu.kde.org. Sharing the python scripts generating the page structure
and collection neccesary data seemed to be too complicated at the
moment. We will try that later, perhaps.

I found some reasonable icons for the new categories.

Please have a look at the current website status with all new features at

http://edu.angelaschule-osnabrueck.de/

As you will find: some pages lack content. Please write proposals into
my wiki page:

http://techbase.kde.org/User:Pipesmoker

Please take part in developping the new site!

Best regards

Matthias (pipesmoker)