[kde-edu]: kbruch name (was New Website edu.kde.org)

Orestes Mas orestes at tsc.upc.edu
Mon Jun 7 05:49:33 CEST 2010

A Diumenge 06 Juny 2010, Aleix Pol va escriure:
> On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Frederik Gladhorn <gladhorn at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Sunday 06 June 2010 11:29:23 Aleix Pol wrote:
> > > We only want to show the applications ready for the use, so playground
> > > wouldn't make much sense.
> > > k% was merged into kbruch, so let's not confuse people :)
> >
> > If someone worked on these, how about renaming the app.
> > For me as German KBruch makes perfect sense, but is not sexy at all. Plus
> > Bruch == fractions which is not fitting any more if it also include
> > percentages...
> > If I put on my English speaking hat, it sounds horrible and doesn't make
> > much
> > sense.
> >
> > How about changing that for KDE SC 4.6? (No, I don't have a good new name
> > just
> > now...)
> > KBruchProzente, obviously.
> >
> > Fluff,
> > Frederik
> >

> I wouldn't change that right now. percentages are a kind of fraction
> anyway.
>
> as for the linguistic problem, it's kind of unfortunate that it can't be
> read by a non-german speaker but I think that it would be a bad move right
> now since there's people who already know the application and, in the end,
> we have a good icon that goes with the name hand-by-hand :).
>
> Aleix

I understand pros and cons; both are valid, but i'm slightly more on the
"pros" side.

I'd suggest "fraktion" (or "fraktions") as a new name: It describes the
application with an english-like word (so broadening the number of people who
can understand its goals at a glance), has a "k" in the name and "fraktion" is
still a german word, so it maintains its original "flavour".

Orestes.

--
 Orestes Mas Casals - UPC