[kde-edu]: New Website edu.kde.org

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Sun Jun 6 11:28:18 CEST 2010

2010/6/5 Matthias Meßmer <matthias at familie-messmer.de>

> Hello,
>
> here are some of my thoughts about the new edu.kde.org site:
>
> 1. News
>
> Currently we have sperate news for several apps stored in .rdf files
> under the app's folder (/kalzium/news.rdf). I managed to merge all
> exisitng news sorted by date descending into a common news page. Every
> news entry is linked to the new app overview page. Links to the full
> news content is missing yet.
>
> -> Do we need menu entries for every app with exisitng news here. Please
> notice, that some of them are quite outdated...

I really doubt we need news on edu.kde.org. I don't think anyone is going to
check them regularly and makes it look outdated more than anything, that's
why I proposed to not show them on the front page and expect the maintainers
to update the applications news if they use them (and in case they do,
expect it to be up to date).
It's something we can discuss at the IRC meeting though

> 2. About Us
>
> On http://community.kde.org/Multimedia/Sprint2010/Notes/Website there is
> only a hint to Vox Humanitatis.
>
> -> What else shall be listed here?
>
> 3. Applications
>
> We have a work around to manage all edu apps sorted by subcategories of
> "Education".
>
> -> Which categories are really useful?
>
> In addition I developped a page listing all applications. This section
> is more or less a copy of www.kde.org/applications
>
> But here no place for additional content like kvtml files or kturtle
> examples and so on.

We have to think about a good place to put that kind of stuff and link it
from the website but I don't like to have to send people there to download
such examples.

> 4. Contact US
>
> Most entries here are more or less just external links or one line
> infos. Seperate menu entries or pages seems a bit overkill imho.
>

> Generals issues:
>
> Information about KDE are scattered across many many web sites. Only
> some are listed here: http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/kde.org/Site_Status
>
> With a menu/content structure described above we could have trouble to
> host all the currently existing content on edu.kde.org. So information
> about our edu apps would be scattered across several web sites, too,
> especially userbase.kde.org and techbase.kde.org
>
> -> Visitors need to know what to find where.
> -> Maintainers need some guidlinee what to save where.
> -> We should maintain cross links as many as possible.
>
> You can have a look at work in progress here:
> http://edu.angelaschule-osnabrueck.de
>
> Best regards!
>
> Matthias

thanks for your work!