[kde-edu]: This KDE Science thing

Stuart Jarvis stuart.jarvis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 15:16:34 CEST 2010

Somehow missed Aleix's reply yesterday, so I'll deal with both here

On Tuesday, July 20, 2010 01:24:54 pm Thomas Thym wrote:
> When I see it right, we are facing two different tasks.
> 1. The structure of the development of our applications and
> 2. The marketing / promotion of our software.>

I agree

> 1. Development of the specific applications
> From the programming and maintaining point of view I totally agree with
> Aleix to focus on one modul and therefore try to integrate the scientific
> KDE applications as well.

Yes. And as Aleix said, any move away from that would be for the science app
developers to decide.

> (Perhaps it could be renamed in "KDE Education
> and Science" in the future if absolutely necessary.)

Perhaps, but I don't think there's any need for this. The issue for me is not
that some of the science apps might not really fall under 'education' so much
as there are several science apps that probably don't fit, for various reasons
(release timing, quality at the moment) in a core KDE module such as Edu.

> 2. Marketing / "Selling" of the software package
> Our mainpages ([1], [2] and [3]) as it seems to me are (still) structured
> for developers and could be improved for users. Users are looking for
> solutions for their problems. As I read and heard in the last days schools
> and universities use a bunch of KDE (and other Open Source) apps through
> many "modules" (KDE-Edu apps as well as Krita, KOffice, the KDE Workspace
> and even OpenOffice.org).

True. [3] does this better than most by at least offering views of the apps by
subject and by target age group.

> I am not sure if it is our core task to promote whole education packages or
> to promote our software to already existing promoters of FLOSS at schools
> (e.g. Skolelinux, OpenSUSE l-i-f-e, etc.). Both things will help us. I am
> open for both solutions.

Yep, both I think. Good presentation of applications by use case is helpful
both for end users and for the likes of Skolelinux etc

> My first step: I created a Wiki page [4] to collect some ideas to show the
> potential of KDE Software at schools from a user perspective. Please feel
> free to improve it.
> If such a page exists yet, please let me know.
>
> Does it make sense to build an equal page for KDE 4 Scientists, too?

Quite possibly. It's unlikely I'll get to it in the next 2-3 weeks though (I'm
on vacation for two weeks starting on Saturday).