No subject

Tue Jul 20 01:36:18 CEST 2010

ix to focus on one modul and therefore try to integrate the scientific KDE =
applications as well. (Perhaps it could be renamed in "KDE Education a=
nd Science&quot; in the future if absolutely necessary.)<br>
ages ([1], [2] and [3]) as it seems to me are (still) structured for develo=
pers and could be improved for users. Users are looking for solutions for t=
heir problems. As I read and heard in the last days schools and universitie=
s use a bunch of KDE (and other Open Source) apps through many &quot;module=
s&quot; (KDE-Edu apps as well as Krita, KOffice, the KDE Workspace and even=
 OpenOffice.org). <br>
I am not sure if it is our core task to promote whole education packages or=
 to promote our software to already existing promoters of FLOSS at schools =
(e.g. Skolelinux, OpenSUSE l-i-f-e, etc.). Both things will help us. I am o=
pen for both solutions.<br>
the potential of KDE Software at schools from a user perspective. Please fe=
el free to improve it.<br>If such a page exists yet, please let me know. <b=
r>
org/applications/education/</a><br>
=3D"http://community.kde.org/User:Ungethym/KDE4Schools">http://community.kd=
010/7/19 Aleix Pol <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:aleixpol at kde.org=
div class=3D"h5">On Saturday 17 July 2010 00:57:18 Akarsh Simha wrote:<br>
&gt; Hi<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I was at Akademy, attended Stuart&#39;s talk, but couldn&#39;t make it=
 to the<br>
&gt; BoF. In any case, I was wondering if a KDE science could be a good<br>
&gt; place for apps that are not education per se, but more research<br>
&gt; oriented stuff, to go into.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Let me pick an example app -- say I write a KDE front-end to an<br>
&gt; astronomical image processing program -- I don&#39;t think there&#39;s=
 a place<br>
&gt; to put that as yet in KDE. I am inclined to believe that Cantor (but<b=
r>
&gt; not Step) would possibly be better in such a place. Apart from that,<b=
r>
&gt; there&#39;s a lot of scope for a lot more KDE applications to come up =
into<br>
&gt; KDE science -- I can think of a few potential apps in Physics (but of<=
br>
&gt; course, we do need coders!). Maybe creating a module called KDE<br>
&gt; science will spur up some action.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Regards<br>
&gt; Akarsh<br>
&gt; kde-edu mailing list<br>
ng to know more<br>
things is both science and education. I understand the target is a little<b=
r>
different but I don&#39;t think it is that much.<br>
If we consider we need two different coordinations it&#39;s fine to have a =
separate<br>
module but that would double quite some effort. We can see that KDE Science=
iniciative as a promoting KDE (overall) for science creation and let the<br=

programs to be organized as they are now. I&#39;d say it&#39;s the science =
developers<br>
who should decide if they want to organize separatedly, but given that this=
iniciative is coming from promo I don&#39;t see a reason for splitting deve=
lopment<br>
modules.<br>
Aleix<br>