[kde-edu]: Step without kdelibs?

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Fri Feb 12 10:58:29 CET 2010

On Thursday 11 February 2010 22:56:04 v_2e at ukr.net wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 22:29:20 +0100
>
> Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> > I don't think KDE Libs is such a big dependency and I don't think it
> > makes sense to have all applications with 2 GUI implementations. It's
> > against KDE philosophy.
>
>   Well, maybe you a right about 2 GUIs. But there could be lots of
> people having Qt libraries on their machines already and not having
> kdelibs installed. In such a case it would be more convenient for them
> to not compile any additional libraries. But many people would, of
> course, install them without any hesitation - I understand that.
>   And by the way, I am very very new to KDE-Edu project. That is why I
> know almost nothing about its philosophy, coding standards and so on.
> And that is why I ask these questions. I just do not know, what exact
> kdelibs functionality does Step use. I could learn it from a source
> code, of course, but I decided to ask here having a hope for a quick
> answer. :)
KDE-Edu aims to develop KDE-based Educational software, not Qt-only based.
KDE-Edu programs all use kdelibs, this is compulsory to be part of KDE-Edu.

I suggest that before you discuss further you install Step and run it as a
start. If you don't want a dependency just find a LiveCD that has it.

Anne-Marie