[kde-edu]: Step without kdelibs?

Pino Toscano toscano.pino at tiscali.it
Fri Feb 12 02:26:04 CET 2010

Hi,

Alle venerdì 12 febbraio 2010, v_2e at ukr.net ha scritto:
> Besides, like I have already mentioned, I have a
> number of friends who uses GNU/Linux operating system. Not everyone of
> them uses KDE.

Using a KDE application does not imply "using KDE (the full DE)".

> And the problem is not only that those who don't use
> KDE as their everyday desktop environment do not want to install "any
> part of KDE",

Oh no, this is _exactly_ the issue.

> but the fact is that not everyone who does use KDE every
> day knows about KDE-Edu project. I'm serious.

KDE-Edu is unrelated to the "install kdelibs or not": (good) educational
software under GNU/Linux is so limited that if you want to provide an
educational installation you must install Qt, KDE, GTK, GNOME and more
libraries.
Please do not mixup against KDE-Edu with your "no kdelibs" idea. They are
*unrelated*.

>   Still, there is a strong belief among many people I know that "if I
> use Gnome - I need only Gnome's libraries and I do not want any other
> libraries; if I use KDE - I want to see only KDE libraries on my system
> and do not want to see any other and so on". At the same time I know
> that every one of my friends has both Qt and GTK libraries
> installed on his/her machine. That is why they won't even hesitate
> installing such great programs on their machines knowing that those
> programs has only one dependency (it would be ideal) and that that only
> dependency has been satisfied "a priori" on their PC.

This is just the "integralism" of some Linux users, which refuse to install
libraries not of the DE they use, even if they are plent of HD space.
This kind of metality should not even _be_ in this list, so taking it as
excuse for your "idea" is a -1.

>   I will definitely need some help from the people familiar with Step's
> source code at least during stages 2 and 3.

Given the only Step guy has no time to even work on Step lately, I really
doubt he can help you in your idea.

>   By the way, I know about a possibility to make a "fork" of the
> project and do whatever I want there, but to be honest, I do not like
> such behaviour and I do not want to do that.

Well, what you are proposing is exactly that, no more and no less.

> But even if I did, my
> "programming power" is definitely not enough to maintain such a
> project. That is why, most of all, I would like this program (if it
> becomes a reality) to be a part of KDE-Edu project. I think, this is
> the only way to help each other.

No sorry, KDE-Edu has Step already.

>   Hope, you understand my reasons a little better now.

Not really, again it is the "I don't want KDE libraries on my PC because I
don't like them" meme, which should be totally out of a KDE list/group.

--
Pino Toscano