[kde-edu]: Re: KDE edu in schools

Nuno Pinheiro nuno.pinheiro at kdab.com
Thu Dec 23 16:55:10 CET 2010

A Quarta, 22 de Dezembro de 2010 18:37:42 Martijn van Duren você escreveu:
> Dear people of KDE edu,
>
> I've posted a message on the kde forum, but they suggested for me to ask
> the question through the mailing list.
>
> My original post was as follow:
>
> I'm not a genuine KDE user, but I do use Linux and am a firm supporter
> of open source and standards.
>
> I recently came into contact with some people running different primary
> schools. When I talked with these people I found out that a lot of
> schools these days (at least here in the Netherlands) are using outdated
> software (including software written for windows 3.0). Talking to these
> people I came to the conclusion that at the very least a fair percentage
> is willing to look into what other (opener) software has to offer, but
> aren't able to find a decent replacements or are stuck but contracts
> with the book-suppliers.
>
> Through these talks I came to the KDE edu suite. Since I can't afford to
> look deeply into the entire documentation to find these answers and also
> because I want to get some insight from and to get some discussion with
> the people directly related to this project I post my questions here:
>       * How scalable is the project?
>         - How is the central maintenance of progress and grades for
>         students?
>         - How easily can the content (and possibly the front-end) be
>         altered to suit the specific needs of a teaching methodology?
>         - How closely is the (client side) back-end integrated into the
>         kde/Qt project?
>
>       * How closely is the project related to publishers of schoolbooks?
>       * How actively are school approached about the existence of this
>         project
>
> I hope someone can give me some information concerning these questions
> and hopefully get some discussion going about how to make open source
> and open standards more common on schools.

Hey I have been involved (just a bit) on a rather big deployment here in
Portugal, as Sebastian Said the KDE-edu is mostly about educational apps.
But we did some custom configurations to the desktop in the local deployment
here in Portugal to fit the needs of students and teachers... It's quite
obvious to us all that it can and should be expanded with more tools and
features specially on the lines of what you are asking.

Example of what we did for the Portuguese deployment...
. Custom wallpaper
. Custom desktop theme
. Custom panel.
. Custom application launcher.

Its is relatively trivial to change those things, and even to do it
dynamically. example different classes could have different desktop setups.
its mostly a problem of finding people and time to do it ....

Nuno Pinheiro | nuno.pinheiro at kdab.com | UI Designer