[kde-edu]: KDE edu in schools

Martijn van Duren martijn987 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 19:37:42 CET 2010

Dear people of KDE edu,

I've posted a message on the kde forum, but they suggested for me to ask
the question through the mailing list.

My original post was as follow:

I'm not a genuine KDE user, but I do use Linux and am a firm supporter
of open source and standards.

I recently came into contact with some people running different primary
schools. When I talked with these people I found out that a lot of
schools these days (at least here in the Netherlands) are using outdated
software (including software written for windows 3.0). Talking to these
people I came to the conclusion that at the very least a fair percentage
is willing to look into what other (opener) software has to offer, but
aren't able to find a decent replacements or are stuck but contracts
with the book-suppliers.

Through these talks I came to the KDE edu suite. Since I can't afford to
look deeply into the entire documentation to find these answers and also
because I want to get some insight from and to get some discussion with
the people directly related to this project I post my questions here:
      * How scalable is the project?
        - How is the central maintenance of progress and grades for
        students?
        - How easily can the content (and possibly the front-end) be
        altered to suit the specific needs of a teaching methodology?
        - How closely is the (client side) back-end integrated into the
        kde/Qt project?

      * How closely is the project related to publishers of schoolbooks?
      * How actively are school approached about the existence of this
        project

I hope someone can give me some information concerning these questions
and hopefully get some discussion going about how to make open source
and open standards more common on schools.

Sincerely,

Martijn van Duren