[kde-edu]: Re: git conversion

Daniel Laidig laidig at kde.org
Wed Dec 22 22:21:02 CET 2010

On Monday 20 December 2010 18:59:44 Niko Sams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Kde is moving towards git, and so is kdeedu. This crucial part about
> that are conversion
> rules. I wrote those rules for kdemodules including kdeedu you might
> want to use.

Thanks for working on this! :)

> But first you have to decide about the repository layout; should it be
> split or one big repository?
> This has to be decided by the module developers.

My personal point of view based on my limited experience with git is that
split repositories are the better approach especially in the long run, even if
it requires some additional work now.

For Parley the cmake stuff definitely needs work as it currently doesn't build
standalone and we need a check for libkeduvocdocument. However, I just saw you
have also been working on this. You rock!

> I see one issue with split: libkdeedu. You have to make a "real"
> library out of it that lives
> in it's own repository.
> Other than that split seems to be suitable as most/all(?) applications
> are independent.
>
> My rules produce split repositories, as I would prefer that layout.
> Contributing to marble
> would be much harder otherwise.
>
> Ok, to test the resulting repositories clone them and review the history:
> git clone
> ssh://git@dewey.kde.org/home/git/nsams/test-complete/KDE/kdeedu/marble

I have looked at the parley history and saw that the history of the two big
branches I know about has been lost. Is is possible to add rules for them?

These are the two branches and merge commits for them:

- branches/work/parley-practice, see r1114458
- branches/work/soc-parley, see r835561

Frederik, you know the history better than I do. Can you take a look at this
as well?

Cheers!
Daniel