[kde-edu]: First file Vocabulary Trainer for Parley uploaded

Sabine Emmy Eller s.eller at voxhumanitatis.org
Thu Oct 1 18:36:29 CEST 2009

Hi Sabine,

> that is great news! What would you think about an article on
> dot.kde.org to push this some more? Would you or someone else from
> your team be up for an interview?
>
> Promo peeps: Any takers? Would be awesome if one of you could prepare
> a few questions for Sabine and write a short article for the dot.
>

> Cheers
> Lydia
>
> --

Dear Lydia,

the best suited people for an interview for now are Outi Sane and me each of
us caring about different aspects.

Over time we hope we will find people who will care in groups about specific
language combinations, especially when the data then is being maintained
with Ambaradan where collaboration will become easier. For now the
conversion is still being done manually - this time from a google
spreadsheet to csv to kvtml format. I already asked for help on the
smalltalk list if they can help with a script for the data conversion that I
can then easily adapt without having always to ask a programmer. I went for
smalltalk because this is needed also for Ambaradan, so like so often we try
to get multiple results out of one work done.

For several languages like Udmurt and Veps the vocabulary trainer will be
among the first language learning applications available. Outi can tell you
more about these languages since she did the organisational part of it. Her
e-mail address: outi.sane [at] voxhumanitatis [dot] org. She also reads our
translators list, so she will see this message.

Here a first article of her that refers to Parley:
http://www.voxhumanitatis.org/content/2009-09-27-project-finno-ugric-languages-has-started-very-well

And this is the project page:
http://www.voxhumanitatis.org/content/new-language-packages-parley
It needs to be updated with the news of the last 3-5 days, but it can get
you some basic view on what went on during the last two weeks :-)

Always considering less resourced languages: the translated wordlists can
easily become the basis for spell checkers, dictionaries etc. For the mayor
languages all this already exists, so for them it is really pure creation of
"educational material" and starting points to then translate into less
resourced languages.

Well yes, answering questions would be much easier.

Cheers,

Sabine