[kde-edu]: 2009 introspective

Torsten Rahn rahn at kde.org
Thu May 14 19:52:24 CEST 2009

Am Dienstag, 5. Mai 2009 11:08:49 schrieb Anne-Marie Mahfouf:
> On lundi 04 mai 2009 21:59:09 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > * What have been the defining achievements in the last year?
> -> individual applications achievements:
> -- Marble components in several applications and plasmoids

* Marble being perceived as (one of) the strongest possible Free Software
competitors to Google Earth ;-)
* Support for OpenStreetMap in Marble

> > * What are the major pain points in your project right now?
> - release cycle too short for casual contributors: all KDE-Edu developers
> are either working or students and for most of them, they do not seem able
> to meet the current release schedule. After 4.1 was out I see very few
> activity in terms of new ideas, directions to follow, group synergy,...

I think this is more a problem with regard to the last point you mention: We
have a few projects in kde-edu which don't have intensive maintainership. For
these the release cycle might be quite short indeed.

For Marble the release cycle is fine: Many casual developers start to
contribute only once they realize that the release is near. Extending the
release cycle would only increase the "offtime" in between.

I'd also like to emphasize that XOrg is one of the things at least Marble
heavily relies on.
The current driver situation and the way the current DRI2 migration gets
handled is a real pain and hurts us.

Torsten