[kde-edu]: KDE Educational Game proposal

Casper van Donderen casper.vandonderen at gmail.com
Sat May 9 15:56:54 CEST 2009

Hi,

I was just walking outside and suddenly got an idea for a Educational
Game & would like some feedback on the idea.

Currently I'm working on a fluid simulation project at my university
and I was thinking of differentiating that into a KDE Application for
which I do not yet know a name. I am thinking something like
KSmokeAlarm.

The idea is that there is a source of gasses that try to set of a
smoke alarm. The goal of the user is placing fans in such a manner
that the smoke does not reach the alarms. but instead goes out the
chimney/opened window.
The gameplay will be a bit similar the The Incredible Machine.

This application is educational since it should learn people about the
flow of gasses (it should look similar to the nVidia Box of Smoke, but
then in 2D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWh2A5Fmxgk ).

When developed it should be an OpenGL application which means that ATM
it will not work that well in combination with Compositing/Desktop
Effects on some configurations (the current Intel driver in OpenSuSE
for example).

Is this something that could be a KDE project?

Casper