[kde-edu]: Beyond KDE-Edu as it is now

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Wed Jan 21 03:36:51 CET 2009

Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As you may have seen Aaron's blog
> http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/01/purpose-specific-containments.html
> and collected feedback
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/Education
> there is a real interest from teachers, IT admins, community workers, ... to
> have a very customizable desktop for students. Kiosk settings, plasma easy
> adaptability are solid tools to base a desktop for pupils on.
>
> To follow the discussion started by Aaron and in collaboration with Edubuntu
> and its user base and other distributions like Skolelinux, mEDUxa, ... the KDE
> project needs to carry on gathering needs from the base and define some
> objectives, targets, design mockups,... in order to make this happening. KDE
> can extend the Edu experience from applications to the whole desktop and admin
> tools.
>
> Would this mailing list, oriented so far to target Edu applications, be the
> one where we also could discuss about admin tools, a desktop, etc? Or should
> we set a new mailing list for that?
>
> And how can we gather more feedback? get more in touch with classrooms, IT
> people, schools admins?

I think we should use this mailing list, which already has several
people interested in Education. As for gathering feedback I can offer to
engage the guys from Software Livre Educacional (sleducacional.org) into
it. This is a group of educators here in Brazil that are enthusiasts of
free software, and agnostic about the distro or project, so it seems
ideal for getting the information we need.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini