[kde-edu]: Beyond KDE-Edu as it is now

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Tue Jan 20 19:31:56 CET 2009

Hi all,

As you may have seen Aaron's blog
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/01/purpose-specific-containments.html
and collected feedback
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/Education
there is a real interest from teachers, IT admins, community workers, ... to
have a very customizable desktop for students. Kiosk settings, plasma easy
adaptability are solid tools to base a desktop for pupils on.

To follow the discussion started by Aaron and in collaboration with Edubuntu
and its user base and other distributions like Skolelinux, mEDUxa, ... the KDE
project needs to carry on gathering needs from the base and define some
objectives, targets, design mockups,... in order to make this happening. KDE
can extend the Edu experience from applications to the whole desktop and admin
tools.

Would this mailing list, oriented so far to target Edu applications, be the
one where we also could discuss about admin tools, a desktop, etc? Or should
we set a new mailing list for that?

And how can we gather more feedback? get more in touch with classrooms, IT
people, schools admins?

Best regards and thanks in advance for your feedback,

Anne-Marie