[kde-edu]: Number Munchers

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Sun Apr 5 13:42:03 CEST 2009

Hello,

T. J. Brumfield wrote:
> I would
> like to see a remake/clone of Number Munchers.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_Munchers

Ok, It's basically Pacman with numbers. I would be interested in coding
that up in Python of course provided someone (you?) would be willing to
handle things like organising or providing suitable art work, and
defining things like what the levels/problems should be. (assuming there
are levels).

I'm kind of looking for a simple and relatively small project at the
moment. (I've got too many half completed project floating around the
place).

> Number Munchers has many nice things going for it as a concept.
> * It is simple to learn and play.
> * It should be simple to code.  I say that as a non-programmer, but
> someone made a DHTML version in under 5k of code here:
> http://www.numbermunchers.org/
> * The app doesn't need much from an art perspective, unless you wanted
> to add nice animations or cut scenes.
> * The game mechanic appeals to children of varying age ranges.
> * You can use different types of math problems to appeal to children
> of varying ages.

Yes, it looks like a good concept that could be applied to a whole range
of problems or areas which have one question and multiple possible
answers, not just math.

Chemistry: Metals, Gases, Radioactive materials.

Current events: "Who is to blame for the current economic crisis?" ;-)

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/