[kde-edu]: i18n issues with step

Vladimir Kuznetsov ks.vladimir at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 11:35:09 CET 2008

Hello,

On Tuesday 18 November 2008 00:00:45 Burkhard Lück wrote:
> Am Montag 17 November 2008 20:25:56 schrieb Vladimir Kuznetsov:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've commited the bugfix today. All strings should be translatable by
> > now, please notifty me if there are any problems.
>
> Checked your patch;
> $ cd kdeedu/step
> kdeedu/step$ mkdir po
> kdeedu/step$ ../../l10n-kde4/scripts/extract-messages.sh
> kdeedu/step$ msgfmt --statistics po/step.pot
> 0 übersetzte Meldungen, 671 unübersetzte Meldungen.
> kdeedu/step$
> msgfmt --statistics ../../l10n-kde4/templates/messages/kdeedu/step.pot
> 0 übersetzte Meldungen, 228 unübersetzte Meldungen.
>
> 671 - 228 = 443 new strings for translation.
>
> Hmm, I think nobody on kde-i18n-doc will expect 443 new strings one day
> before message freeze.
> I would be fair to announce this to the translators (kde-i18n-doc at kde.org).

Hm, I've thought that message freeze forbids adding new string but still
allows translating existing one, doesn't it ? Anyway sorry for being so
late...

> > > attached a patch for a lot of missing i18n calls, please check +
> > > commit.

> kdeedu/step$ grep objinfo po/step.pot
> kdeedu/step$
> -> still no text extracted for translation

> kdeedu/step$ grep tutorial po/step.pot
> kdeedu/step$
> -> still no text extracted for translation
>
> String freeze does _not_ apply for untranslatable messages, so please fix
> the i18n bug for the messages in kdeedu/step/step/objinfo/*html and
> kdeedu/step/step/tutorials/*step.
Objinfo files can be translated, but in different way. I've just added example
of translation to l10n-kde4/de/data/kdeedu/step.

Tutorials are still non-translatable. For now I can implement the similar
translation method for them as used for objinfo files, but this is not optimal
because it will be hard to keep translations in sync. Another solution is
probably to modify .step file format to to include translations directly into
.step files, but then it won't be possible to translate object names (like
"particle1"). What do you thing about it ?

--
      Best Regards,
        Vladimir