[kde-edu]: iTALC

Ben Crawford crawford_ben at yahoo.ca
Sun Mar 23 23:16:31 CET 2008

Hello All

**Warning this applies to the iTALC version we tested - either 1.0.2 or 1.0.3.**

A while back I stumbled across a nice little program called iTALC.  I am aware that iTALC is not part of kde-edu, but there has been discussions here about it in the past.  Sometime back in 2007 I mentioned that our school was looking at this as an alternative to expensive proprietary software.

I finally convinced our network technician, near the end of last year, to install it on a few test machines to see how it would all work out.  In the end the decision was made not to go ahead with iTALC as an alternative to proprietary software.  This disappointed me a great deal because I feel that the issues, see below, were not strictly iTALC related and with a bit of time and trouble shooting most if not all issues could have been resolved.

Some of the issues that were encountered:
(Note:  These issues did not occur before installation of iTALC)
* random logoff
* iTALC service not running (on startup)
* an error occurred while reconnecting to Z:. The local device name is already in use.  This connection has not been restored.
* No configuration file found (on startup)

I also offer some more information about what we were running.  As mentioned this install took place last year and as a result this is for an old version of iTALC (either version 1.0.2 or 1.0.3).  We are running this on a windows xp network.  For ease of installation all the configuration files were on a mapped network drive.

The latest version of iTALC is 1.0.7.  I would love to give this a try and work a little more with our network technician to see if it is at all possible to iron things out.  However, convincing people to even try Open Source Software has been like pulling teeth!  Does anyone have any ideas on how I might persuade the powers that be to test things out again?

Cheers,
Ben

http://www.flickr.com/gift/