[kde-edu]: Parley and other stuff from KDE four live (Feedback)

RalfGesellensetter rgx at gmx.de
Tue Mar 11 10:02:36 CET 2008

Dear list,

I just tried out a recent version of KDE Four Live CD.
OpenSuse based, the system bootet smoothley and soon
I could see KDE4.0 on my desktop for the very first time.
Great stuff.

Right away I started testing Parley. To make it short:
I could not get into practice mode despite 15 minutes of hard trying:
I downloaded lections (but couldn't find where they were stored), I
opened the 2 included lections, browsed the word list, opened practise
setup - but in the end, practise showed me a "20" in any line - and
below a result of 0 words. As "blocking" was also 20, I checked again
if blocking was enabeled (it wasn't). Maybe there is some further
assistance needed - or even a change of presets.

I had to reboot into my kde3 system in order to give any feedback, as
KDE 4live lacks Ksirc or at least an irc client for konsole.

I will also give Kalgebra a 2nd try, soon. I feel like a novice with all
these re-designed eduapps - which is a pro (because now I can really
tell what migrating collegues will feel).

Thank you for your work and your devotion.
Kind regards
Ralf.